Friday, January 11, 2008

5. To eat meat, or not to eat meat. That is the question.

Many of you who know me, know that I'm a vegetarian.. probably for about six years now I have been, and it's kinda part of my identity and something I believe in.

However, when in Ghana, I've heard, that it might be culturally insensitive for me to turn down meat offered by my host family, or that meat might be in stews etc that I will be eating.
I will already have so many cultural barriers to hurdle when I arrive in Ghana, and I feel that adding an additional barrier by trying to explain that some crazy Canadians choose not to eat meat will be just adding additional stress.

So I have started to integrate meat into my diet, so I don't have some crazy digestive problems from eating meat in Ghana. I've eaten meat gravy, I eat fish and shrimp, and, wait for it.. this is the big one.. the other night Peter and I went out for dinner and after a long discussion on eating meat or not, Peter handed me his fork with a piece of chicken on it!
And after much hesitation and many attempts to bring the fork to my lips, I ate it!

And guess what- it tastes exactly how I remember it!!! Weird!

So I took the first plunge.. but it's very odd because I still consider myself a vegetarian and can't imagine myself ordering meat at a restaurant for myself... I am still contemplating the realistic-ness of this all, because some have told me that I could get by without eating meat in Ghana..

So what do you think..??
I will continue asking my friends and colleagues who have been overseas, and I fear the MASSIVE PLUNGE of eating red meat.. .. but for now.. the question remains..


Should I eat meat or not????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say if when you are there, and you feel it impractical or awkward to reject specifically meat products of some type than save yourself the stress and go ahead and eat it. But, it's not like you are going out of your way to violate your own principles so don't fret! All part of the experience right.. at least you are doing the right thing by thinking about this and preparing mentally and physically before you just show up..