Wednesday, May 28, 2008

In a month, I will be in Ghana!!!

I apologize for not writing sooner, but things have been crazy busy and I am mentally all over the place.
I leave in less than a month, and every single weekend I have before I go is packed and busy, camping, retreats, and I'm worried this may not have been the best idea. I really want to see all my friends and family before I leave, but I won't be back in Pickering until a few days before I leave, and not sure what kind of mind space I'll be in.
It is really starting to kick in and the anxiety and nervousness is increasing steadily.
I have found out more about the placement, which is awesome. Our group of 20 has been divided into 4 groups- 2 in the Northern Region, and 2 in the Central Region (where I will be). I will be in Apam and the Gomoa district for the research block of time, and the first and last week we are all together in Accra, the capital city, to get oriented and then to conclude and share our presentations and findings. The research will entail going to 4 different schools, and I believe the focus is on girl education but things are still pretty vague.
I'm feeling so emotional and uncertain and really trying to focus myself and prepare as best I can for this experience, but it's one of this things that people keep telling that I'm going to be so changed, that my life will never be the same, but how do you prepare for that? What will those changes look like? How hard will it be to reintegrate into my life back in Canada?

Lots of questions, but no answers.

I hope this gives you a teeny, tiny window into what I will be doing, how I'm feeling, and I promise to share more information as it comes.

Lots of love
Robin

No comments: